Soothing
I read a few months ago that thumb suckers are self soothers and that they actually feel insecure and develop the habit out of it not being met from their parents.
This made me very upset, as Will is a thumbsucker.
However, I had a revelation about this today. On our 2nd day of being at home with Will sick, I've reached the end of my time happy at home. And.....guess what, I found myself "self soothing". I mean we all do it, don't we?
I may have given up sucking my finger a long time ago (yes I was "insecure" too), however, we all gain security in other things all through our lives. I just won't accept this as negative. It is our way of coping with being "stranger in a strange land".
See, i believe that I have this void, that can really only be met by being with my Savior in heaven>
While here on this earth, being at home on sick days, God has given me wonderful blessings to be "soothed"by, and somehow experiencing His joy through them.
While here on this earth, being at home on sick days, God has given me wonderful blessings to be "soothed"by, and somehow experiencing His joy through them.
The view from our deck today.
A cup of tea from a mug made by a close friend.
Brainstorming for big projects.
Thinking of how many things Will has learned and done this past year and excited by the ways in which he will grow this new year. (More about this blessing of a chart later)
Amazed that he wanted to and IS actually taking his nap in his big boy room. Realizing that I have such little control over this little person, that he does things when he's ready; all we can do is guide.
Yes, I believe I can even experience His joy through this blessing of a bag that he allowed me to find, the best purse I've ever had by far. I just smile every time I pass it hanging on this chair.
Dan,being an avid fisherman and nowhere to have anything to do with his passion around the house; my mom had these wonderful fish painted on old barn wood for him. I really find a lot of joy in them as well. Thanks Mom.
So, there they are. On this day when I am at home with a little sick guy, having some stir crazy feelings. I am so excited to have these soothing things around me, only to know that they are nothing in comparison to the deep deep love of Christ.
What are you "soothed"by, embrace your thumb, it is ok.
13 comments:
Oh my goodness... SO MANY THINGS I love about this post. The intention, of course... but the PURSE!!! I don't dig purses, but I may need to get some info from you on that one. ANd the fish... I love those. The iron bed, the big boy room.
I love all of it.
All of it.
Soothe away, Friend.
what a great post annie! I'm sorry your little Will is sick.... Hopefully he will be feleling better just in time for the weekend! oh and PS I love the view from your deck as much as i love the purse, and i realllllllly love your purse!
It is insane how much I covet your purse. It has been awhile since I have seen it. I mean you! Love that BR's little iron bed is on this. How sweet. I think I might cry about his big boy bed. He looks so sweet in it. This was such a great post. You always are so good at reminding me what is really important. I can't wait to hear about the chart and why you moved his bed! Oh those fish are gorgeous. I can't wait to see those too. Boy you are just going to have to invite me over real soon!
sweet post.
I have a purse a little like that that I love. Yours is a bit cooler though.
That thumb sucking thing is BS in my opinion.
I feel ya on the stir craziness too.
I have never heard of this thumb thing.. but I don't have children so I haven't been reading up on it nor have I had an arrognat doctor tell me this either.. but I'm with you on the whole "we sothe ourselves" and I love that you posted pictures of the things in your life that sothe you! I love that purse too! It's adorable!
oh and calling you soothes me!!!
Oh Myron might covet that fish painting a little bit!!!
WIll in a big boy bed! wow!! I love his room too. I have been thinking lately about "thier own tim e" too. Its amazing when they are ready tey will do it...even at 2
Oh such a big boy Will all snuggled in his big boy bed. I think that it is good to self soothe I was happy when Ellen started sucking her thumb, it is he slow process of becoming independant, and me letting go little by little as she grows. But I really liked what you said about us all having a void that can only be filled by a savior! So true, you are very wise my friend!
I feel your pain, annie, having a sick baby this past week! My "soother" was a pair of black Ugg boots (yes, I caved) from ebay! But they pale in comparison to our Lord's provision. Love you!
I wonder what it means when you wish you kid could find their thumb to suck so you wouldn't have to get up in the middle of the night to find the stupid passy?!?!? Anywhoo, I have absolutely no problem with self soothing- I actually think it can be healthy sometimes. I love your post, it is always very entertaining, but also a good reminder of truth. As always, THANKS!
Thanks, Annie. I so appreciate your perspective and love reading your deep thoughts on everyday things. I am definitely a self-soother too. Aren't we all. I'm betting Will's passion for the harmonica will surpass his thumb-sucking.
What a cool post! This was inspirational for me, hon. Everyone's comments are true - your perspective and shared thoughts really do teach and encourage us! I am lining up in the 'self-soother' category for sure. Even admitting that I often self-soothe alot more than allowing God to step in a little more from time to time and provide His own unmatchable peace. Thank goodness He gives us permission to be ever evolving works in progress, huh!?
wonderful and true. we all self soothe and we're all ok.
Post a Comment