Thursday, January 22, 2009

My week away and beyond

Well, I sure did learn a lot and had a great time hanging out with friends Joy and Will. It was like being in college again and it was fun to see Joy's world up close over there in Bakersville.


The test tiles above are just some of the many that we tested. I liked these crawling glazes the most. I look forward to encorporating these into my functional pots.
I realized a lot about myself while there too.
It was great to be absorbed in the clay world again. It's been a while since I was completely "in it".
Although I am so happy with my place in life and love being a mom. It's hard to keep making pots and stay motivated while being in this "mom" life. Thankfully I got the priviledge of talking to a potter who I admire greatly, Linda McFarling who has gone through being young mom and potter and has her family as a big priority. She encouraged me to stay in it to whatever degree and that it will pay off later.
It was just such a great time for me to really focus, learn and reflect.


And.....it was nice to experience a little winter there. Snow and ice on the river, it was beautiful.
And....I got to see pretty much all the counties around there because I got lost so much going to the grocery and coming home. What a trip. Glad to be home and reflect on it all.
I was ready to get back with my little family though.
I was so glad to see little Will and Dan.


Thank you to my mom and dad for keeping Will for that entire week.
It's priceless that you would want me to keep learning and to allow me that week be absorbed in what I love.
You have always allowed me follow what I love doing, thank you for that.

Here they are. Aren't they cute. Will really had such a great time and didn't stop talking about them for several days. He even picked up a habit from May May, it's hard to explain, maybe i'll get a video of it soon. It's really funny.

And now on to something that has happened today.
Our little Will has grown into a man in a day.


B B is gone.
Left at the mall. Little square blue blankie GONE.

Details in short: (from someone that can't tell a short story)
we were at the mall, BB was there, left the mall, down the highway 10 min., "o no, BB", it was naptime, really didn't want to go back to mall, didn't even know where it was, went home without, Will didn't take a nap, not because of being sad but from being hyper, he never asked for BB, Dan got home, decided we needed to at least try to find her, went back to mall with will, he still hadn't asked for her, couldn't find her, she was not anywhere, came home, still didn't ask, went to bed (in big boy bed for 2nd night), said "Mamma, where BB", handed him a blanket that Sunday and Bella Rose kindly gave to Will today and said "Will this is BB now", he said "OH" and closed his eyes and went to sleep.

We loved you BB, thank you for being such a great friend for the past 2 years and 4 months.


So, now we have a little man on our hands people. (never realized that mustache pictures would serve me well).
It was so interesting to see that Dan and I (ok mostly Dan, sorry hun) had a harder time so far than Will has.
Time sure does seem like a thief sometimes.



Good Day.
Have a great weekend.

11 comments:

Julie said...

I cannot believe that he just took the other blanket and went to sleep. What a great kid!

I think you should have another one.

Unknown said...

hi annie! so happy to hear that you went to a glaze class! you are so awesome for submersing yourself in it like that for a week. i bet it was hard to be away from Will, but listen to Linda, she is so wise and she is right. it will benefit you in the long run to stay involved. your pots are too good not to!! love you!

Unknown said...

ops!! my comment thing was signed in as Yann, my husband! ok, so you are not confused this is Heather!!

Sunday Grant Photography said...

i am so happy that brown BB found a home once blue BB left. That makes us happy. What a sweet picture of Will with the mustache and how appropriate. I was going to make some joke about time being a thief and your last name being Robb, like a robber but then I could not work it out in my head. Oh well. So happy that you did the clay thing for that week. So awesome. It is wonderful to see all your excitement.

Becky Swann said...

Even though I heard most of this from you already today I liked reading it all in blog from so I read it 100 times, no not really but what if I had? Weird-o!
You pursuing your art as a mom is inspiring
I'm Glad Will is doing ok, that BB did a good job, what a loyal friend:)

Brecken said...

Oh my word, Will is a little man! I can't believe you could substitute his blankie- that is amazing!! I can't wait to hang out, and Judah can't wait to play with Will.

KatieKate said...

I'm SO GLAD you went, Friend. What a rejuvunation. It's hard to stay in it when there's so much of regular life going on... I feel the same way. But hang in there, do a little here and there, and the time will come again when it's more balanced.

Love the stashe, Will. Not many can rock the handlebar mustache, but I think you can.

Niki said...

oh so sad. I can't believe he hardly even missed it!

I'm so glad your week was good and I can't wait to see the new work that will come out of it.

Have fun in Raleigh. We will miss you guys!

MC and Brian Phillips said...

Loved it. I admire you for taking that workshop and staying passionate about it. You're so talented!
Conrats to Will for becoming a little man. I wonder if someone else is enjoying the original "BB" they found at the mall...hmmmm.

MelissaCoates said...

Will is amazing, when did he turn into such a little man?!

Come back to Raleigh we miss you guys!

JTP said...

Annie!! I love reading about little Will. It seems like everyone has little girls and I just love seeing what a sweet boy he is...and what a big boy- I would be freaking out about a lost BB, and how cute that he just accepted a new one :-) and way to go on the pots- what fun!