Hello again.
We depend on our parents so much.
My mom and Dan's mom help us out so much in the summer. We really couldn't make our crazy summers work without their care for Will on days when things are really busy, and some times just to give me a breath.
We are so thankful for them.
And then there is my Dad and Dan's Dad. Wow, what great grandparents Will has. He is so fortunate to have them and so are we.
On the note of grandparents he now says all of their names.
This of course makes them and us so excited.
Talking is coming along for Will, slowly but surely. He loves to speak quickly and in long sentences that mostly sound like someone that is lazy and tired slurring all of their words together. It's hilarious.
And......the other day we were at the Montreat park with Lee lee and Pop pop and I met this girl with a daughter who was a month older than Will, she was of course carrying on conversations, she and her little female self.
Anyway, the mom said to me, " Hopefully we'll meet again on the playground circuit"
She meant it sweetly, but I gawked (probably even made a weird face).
The thought of myself being on a playground circuit made me kind of nauseous.
I mean we all talk about how we don't want to be those moms who meet other moms and them only hangout because of kids.
Then I thought about it, literally all night.
Is this so bad?
I do carry a mom bag with me pretty much wherever I go, and if it's not with me it's always in the car jam packed full of snacks and diapers.
I still care for myself, get my hair done, run, eat healthy and keep up with friends (somewhat). IS this "mom" circuit thing so bad? I don't think so.
We are all in similar places in life. So we meet up on the playground every now and then (or everyday for some). At least we are out. At least we are getting our children to be social.
And then I had an epiphany:
if I act weird and unsocial, like I can't be on any playground circuit, then aren't I teaching Will to be unsocial, thinking that he's too good for the playground scene.
So there it is, I think I'm now considered part of the "playground circuit" and I'm proud of it.
The other day I told a counselor to ditch her mountain smith bag and go for the mom bag.
I thought this was hilarious, probably more than it actually was of course.
I was not at all serious, but then again, was I?
Love to you all. Go enjoy the people around you, whoever they may be.
18 comments:
Hey I was wondering where you were I have been looking at all the playgrounds, but couldn't find you. Glad your back on the circuit. It's not just one of those things you can SLIDE into. But you will get the SWING of it.
I think the playground circuit is a wonderful place. I hope you and Will enjoy much time and friends there.
...mom bags a must!
this post is so funny b/c i know that you really were sitting up at night thinking about it. so funny! good perspective on that though.
I would have thought about it all night, too. In fact, I HAVE.
Becky, that made me laugh out loud.
Annie, I love reading your blog. I have just been catching up on the last couple of months (Sorry!) and I have laughed out loud several times.
I'm glad you are coming to terms with your place on the playground circuit. I am so impressed that you were able to let go of the old weird unsocial Annie (who I happened to like) in order to be a good mom for Will. :)
robbie found us a bumper sticker that we had to have, that makes me think of this post. we're not bumper sticker people but this one was so very us, that we needed it to cope with our new lives i think. it says "i used to be cool" and it proudly sticks to our mini van. you may be on the playground circuit, but at least you're still cool enough that you're not getting there via mini van.
I love that bumper sticker Jesse!
I spent a lot of my boys' toddler years feeling like I was SO MUCH younger than other moms at the playgrounds, but then realised that "feelings are fickle" and got over it. I love hanging out with moms cause having children inevitably grows character in practically anyone.
I do know what you are saying about only hanging out with people who are exactly the same as you or in the same stage of life and all.
Getting the minivan was the big step for us.......but it is so darn great and convenient that I don't care how uncool I am in it.
When are you going to put up those sweet pics of me and Will dancing...
Good thoughts everyone, I knew I'd hear some good perspecives on this one.
Becky you are so punny.
Katy, I'm working on it, give a girl a break.
Hey Annie,
As always you keep me laughing! I can so identify with wanting to stay away from the 'expected' mommy things. However, I guess we are both realizing the reality and practical sides of being a mom- and walking with other woman through the same season. You are an inspiration to me to step out of my comfort zone. Thanks for you honesty.
I love your honesty too and all the REAL comments from REAL moms (and non-moms - the cool ones) regarding this post. It is hard to let yourself get "lumped in" to these "mommy" steriotypes, but the cool thing is that...the more I join in, the more I realize that all these moms on "the circuit" are more than moms. They too "used" to be cool and have amazing stories and interesting lives that somehow led them all to this same place in life that we share in common now. Long comment...sorry.
I can't believe you wrote that long train of thought and already had 11 comments. You've got great blog friends! We on this side of the world depend on those mom circuits to find people to make friends with. Even not being a mom, I'm joining this playground circuit.
annie, i am mortified that it has been so long since i have communicated with you! mainly knowing i haven't talked to you since staying in your house that week. so sorry. i really have wanted to tell you and dan how much that meant to us. it was a great week for many reasons, much having to do with your hospitality and commitment to david and thus samuel and me. life has been so crazy since that week...
abt your recent blog...i have had similar thoughts. hilarious in that i find that I am often the one who initiates with all those mamas, and sometimes daddys! just today i was noticing how i am so much more social with the neighboors and even strangers at the park. something abt the instant bond/somewhat of a need (dare i say it) one has to start chatting with otherwise complete strangers.
agreed--
i, too, feel privileged to be on the "playground circuit!"
oh, how things change when little ones arrive...our wants, desires, needs, dreams, prayers, daily routines, etc... BUT what a great honor to make those changes-children are such pure joy!!
great thoughts!
aww, miss you and wish I could come be in the playground circuit.
This is random, but I have been meaning to get back to you about your question re: etsy. Honestly my page just sits there, and I haven't even really completed my banner the way I want, or seriously posted anything for sale. I keep giving myself little guilt trips and kicks in the butt, but I can't seem to allow myself the permission to truly create and focus on this jewelry business project until I have a real job nailed down. So, I guess my answer is that etsy looks like a good system and I hope to really dive in and use it alot someday...but, it just isn't happening right now. How are things going for you there? Do you feel like you get a lot of 'traffic' and are you able to sell? Love your stuff, Love you and hope all is well!!!
I LOVE that you thought about the term playground circuit. Sweet Friend, I miss you! So glad to be able to connect with you here.
p.s. Can't count the nights I've stayed up thinking "Oh crap, I have a station wagon." And an 11-year-old girl and 13-year-old boy filling the seats, to boot. Eek!! Life... Gotta love it! (Mostly because you love them. And how you got there.)
Post a Comment