Waiting for the fall....

Well, I think my theory is correct.
You see I have this idea that kids get hurt more when we are watching. If we watch Will all the time and hold our hands out to him to help him always, don't let him climb up on things and experiment, that he will actually have more injuries.
This might be wrong and I may eat my words later (oooo hopefully not).
Dan is very careful, he is cautious. He let's Will experiment but maybe not to the top of the step ladder like me, just on the first step where he can easily get down. He's a wonderful Father, how I think a Father should be, protective.
But......my theory proved itself true the other day.
I give you Will's first Shiner.

Will and Dan were getting ready for bath time and taking his shirt off, he jerked his head from his shirt and pow, hit is head on the side of the tub. Of course he cried for about 2 seconds, and then was smiling and laughing. But, O how sad Dan was, he feels horrible every time he sees it.
I hate it for him, Will is fine, but Dan, not so much.
Me.....well, I have to admit I'm laughing because it probably should have happened on my watch...
but then there's my theory?
What a picture of the way Christ is with us. It's a simple lesson, but a hard one to really "get".
He loves us, he's not hand off, he's in it, he's right there with us all the time. And yet, we fall, we fail, we get a lot of black eyes.
I've heard some say, "That's why I don't believe what he says is true, because he let's horrible things happen". I have to admit I've felt the same before.
But.... then there is the sunrise. The new day he gives. The ability to start over, fresh, clean, new. Where else can you find that?
Not in this world, if you screw up and fail in job, love, financially. That's it, deemed a failure for life. By credit card companies, loan officers, Tax Collectors, even friends and family.
But Christ? He is there still. He rose from the dead, he did not stay in the grave. Life, freedom, eternally.
And, I'd love to say that the next time I took Will's shirt off he didn't jerk his head out of his shirt, that he learned from his pain, that would make my story really perfect.
But, it's not a perfect story. He jerked it out again.
As we continue to Fail.....
we are never left alone, we are always lifted back up. We do not have to pull ourselves back up, Christ does it. And no one can explain it with words, because it's over our heads.
His Sovereignty in our lives is a mystery. I've always loved that. The fact that we can't understand it fully makes it all the more true to me. We can't explain it perfectly and yet it continues to happen.
The Black Eyes.......
The tornado that has caused much tragedy is hard to explain and understand for many, especially the ones that it has affected.
The election that is in the forefront of our minds right now, me, not really knowing who to vote for.
Horrible things happening all over the world.
Where am I to stand in all this, what can I do?
I do know that waiting for the fall is not the answer, being a pessimist is not going to solve anything.
The thought I keep coming back to is, He is Sovereign.
That is why I believe in Him because He's the only solid thing I know of.
We've all heard it said,
"there are two things sure in life, death and taxes"?
I say, Death and the Need of Redemption (I guess the world thinks of "Redemption" in terms of money, sad).
8 comments:
Well said...thanks for those wise words. I am totally with Will on this one...so many times I don't learn right away from the things in my life that caused me pain. I still "jerk my head out of my shirt," well, you know what I mean. But, God has more patience and love than I could ever have as a mom. He knows when we need rescuing as well as when we just need to fall down and learn to get back up. Way to be tough, little guy!
This is what Jeremiah and I so appreciate about you and Dan. Things get pointed back to Christ at the Singletery household, and in humbling ways, it is always encouraging to us. We all mess up all the time and need to cling desperately to the cross. I'm thankful for your family and Will is blessed to have parents that don't have all the answers but know who does.
I completely ditto Becky's comments here. That God is conditioning your hearts to point back to Christ with these questions, these observations - is all a SO real and faithful. I appreciate you sharing the insights, reflections, here with us. What a blessing that we each have a network of friends to show our bruises and lessons to, as we grow together, huh? Have a great day with your sweet boys, Annie!
I ditto what Becky said.. You and Dan have ALWAYS amazed me.. you always bring it back to the Cross and I look up to you both.. I hope I can learn and be encouraged (which I always am) through your relationships to do the same. I feel to blessed to have you both in my life and I will be forever thankful to Jesus for this precious gift!
I'm glad Will is alright.. first big falls are always tough. My friend was at home and heard her little girl fall down the stairs (even though they have repeated tried to teach her to not go up or down alone) but she did one day when she wasn't "watching" (this sounds kind of bad because she is an excellent mother) .. her daughter got an excellent shiner on her eye too.. and now.. she walks down and up the stairs holding on to the railing post very slowly and carefully.. she did learn from hers so I suspect.. Will will too!
April and I are soo alike.. when I started writing mine comment.. she hasn't commented yet..
How cool is that!
Goodness we all love you so much. All these ladies comments before me are right on. Thanks for always sharing with us.
I have been meaning to comment on this post of yours, but not got to it yet. I love your sweet, wise words. Being a parent has been very insightful to me on understanding how God feels about me as His child.
It was so great to talk at the retreat last night. Wasn't the message awesome?! It definitely hit home for me! I think I might comment on some of those random blogs I read now. And I decided to add Brecken and Dawn to my links.
Let's hang out soon!
you are such a philosopher! here i am sitting here thinking oh i will just get an update on will, since i miss him terribly!, but you let the Lord use you to minister to those to just come to see how Will is doing.
What a great way to witness to the world.
I like your deep thoughts. I'm so glad we serve a risen Savior who does bring us those sunrises and leads us by still waters when we need them the most!
Post a Comment