Thursday, January 17, 2008

SoNow I blog
Yes, it snowed, so exciting we are stuck up on the mountain, and yes I just spent way to much time trying to make the Title make sense (because sometimes my sense of humor just doesn't make sense to people, does that mean I'm not really funny, hmmmm?)

Well Dan and Will and I just got back from being on a trip to Miss./New Orleans. Will stayed with Dan's parents and Dan and I got a little time to spend together mixed with some camp business and a meet up with my older sister Lizza.

It was so fun, Will had a great time, started saying "BYE" when he waves and I swear he got longer.


Will got sick, he was coughing, congested, sad red faced little boy.
I've been known to want to please people all around me, I want to be liked you see, even if it's a stranger, I really want them to see me as a "nice", doesn't get on anybody's nerved person.
When Will and I flew back on the plane to Charlotte this drastically changed in my heart of hearts because....... now I have Will to think about.


This is how it goes. Flying there was not so bad, he cried a little when he was trying to go to sleep, everyone around me said, "o he's so sweet", "what a good little boy he was", Everyone was so nice, we actually made friends.
Then, on the way home........different story. Thankfully he had this raspy little cry that wasn't that loud, but it was crying nonetheless.

We board, Will is happy.
We sit down, will goes through his bag of toys in 02 seconds. Will is not so happy anymore.
For some reason I could not get him to sit still.

He coughs, his nose is running, he arches his back and squirms out of my lap........We have not taken off yet.
He coughs, the plane starts to move, I praise God, he throws his toy car into the seat in front of us, the man sitting beside hands it back..........does not say a word. I get angered, irritated.
We are finally in the air.
I think, ok we can do this, it's only a 1 1/2 hours, please God, please.
Will gets sleepy, yes, he cuddles up in my arms, bliss. Wait, no, no, no, he coughs, he cries, his throat hurts. He cries some more. Five minutes he cries, or was it an hour?
No one made eye contact, not even the stewardess, she asks me if I want a drink, I say, "yes a strong one", she does not laugh........what is wrong with these people, have they never had kids.
I get more irritated and at that point do not care what anyone thinks on that entire plane.
I only care for Will, he's the one that doesn't feel well. Have a little sympathy. And.....they are angry that I brought him on the plane sick, I understand, but don't give a rip.

Honestly, I could have cared less what any of them thought because my baby was miserable.
Ok, Will, Please go to sleep.
He's happy again, he throws his car in the aisle, the man beside us picks it up, "thanks", I say...... he gives a nod, a freaking nod, unbelievable.
Will starts to settle down in my arms again, the plane changes altitudes, I try to get him to eat or drink to help his ears popping, he doesn't want any of it. He stands up, cries a little, sneezes, tries to flirt with the stewardess a little, she is not flattered.
He sits, he settles, no, he arches his back again and has thrown himself against the seat in front of us and stands in the floor after hitting the seat. He tries to crawl under the seats because he sees his book that he threw there. I grab him and pull him up, he cries. I hold him tight and rock him.
NOTE: Amazing Ab workout, rocking your child for 30 minutes.

He goes to sleep. HE'S ASLEEP. YES!!!!
The last 30 minutes. He sleeps, I recover but get more and more over these people sitting around me.
We start our descent, he sleeps.
We get lower, my ears start to pop. His do to, he wakes, he cries. He drinks some water, he's ok.
No, he cries, he stands up and cries, he sits down and cries, he throws himself into the seat beside us, he cries.
We are in line and ready, we pull up to the gate. We stop.
I get up in the back of the plane, yes before the check seatbelt sign was off, and say,
"Excuse me, please let us through, I know that none of you want to hear this baby cry anymore, thank you." Everyone clears the way.
I had conquered my fear of man's opinion that day, all in the name of Will.

Needless to say, when my Dad picked us up from the airport, Will and I both fell into his arms.

And Finally......... I give you. Our antique, fully refurbished Chandelier.
Come and see it, it's so fabulous. Even Will think so in his sick state.

Thanks for making it through, hope it was worth it.

19 comments:

The Colorado Carrs said...

I once had a flight attendant tell me " those babies arent half as bad as those business men" I try to remember that everytime we fly. I am so sorry it was a hard trip but know its good to be home.

love the chandelier!!!

Jason and Jennifer Haynes said...

Oh my gosh! What was with those people...no sympathy! I'm willing to bet they were all babies once too and maybe, just maybe they were sick and fussy as well. Naww! Of course not!

You poor things! Good job you for standing up for your little man!

Yes I agree with Jessica, love the chandelier!What a find! You're going to love it so much more because you had to hunt for it and then give it some good ole' TLC instead of just handing over some cash in a convenient store.

Glad you posted!

TMB said...

what is wrong with people!!!?!?! ugh...some people have ZERO sympathy for children. i hate it. i often want to say to them,"you know, you were once a baby too...and someone listened to your coughs and sneezes and cries...so DEAL with it!" i haven't said that to anyone yet...but if someone crosses me on the wrong day, i just might!! way to go, standing strong! they are the ones with BIG problems...

love this post. you painted a vivid picture. i felt like i was sitting right there on that plane with you!
xoxo

TMB said...

ps...and i hope poor will gets to feeling better soon. he is too cute in the snow...

Becky Swann said...

I liked hearing this story the other day, but I loved the blog version, every exciting detail coming at us fast, very intense ;)
Love the chandelier, and the title-very clever worth the time you put into it, this punster appreciated it

Unknown said...

Thanks for reading my long drawn out version, I know I could have said it in a short paragraph but I just couldn't.
Glad you got the pun Becky, I knew you would.

Heidi and Richard King said...

Oh, that was fun to read...I am sure less fun in person, but I so admire you for breaking free of wanting to please everyone. I am the same way and it just sucks to sit there so worried about every little sound or movement the kids make. Those people must lead misserably dull lives...who doesn't have compassion for a sick child and his mama?! Have I told you the story about coming back from Europe with Addison having a totally full stinky poopy diaper with NO diapers left and a packed plane. It was horrible...she wasn't making a peep, but the smell filled the cabin and people in front of us had their blankets up over their noses. So imbarrassing...plus we had to go through customs before we got to any place I could purchase diapers. What was I thinking, I know!

Jason and Jennifer Haynes said...

ok I am so glad I peeped back at these comments. Heidi, if you see this, that story was hilarious! Annie, doesn't it make you feel good you're not alone!

and the other thing...being married to a continues flow of puns and having the pun queen for a best friend it's killing me that I can't find the pun...I know I'm silly but I want to know the secret...all I can see is a play on the graphics colors to make the word snow. I know I need serious help but this is bugging me :-)

Unknown said...

Jen, it may not be a pun really alright, It says SO Now i Blog. And emphasizing the s and now make snow, yes and it was snowing when I blogging and that's why I got a chance to blog, because we were stuck inside.
I can't believe I just explained this, see it's not funny if you have to explain, I'm not really funny.
you were being nice, SEE>

Unknown said...

And Heidi.....that makes me feel so much better. I was wondering what would happen if Will pooped, they stink even if you can change them ya know.

Sunday Grant Photography said...

oh Annie!! OOOHHH ANNIE!!! i feel for you that was vivid and reverified why i already have a huge fear of flying with BellaRose. I feel like that in restaurants if BellaRose cries but I just can get up and leave. You can't do that on a plane. Oh ANNIE! good job.
love the chandelier, love it

Jason and Jennifer Haynes said...

oh no! you're funny! you're ridiculously funny! I wasn't lyin'!!! promise! I just saw that Becky said there was a pun in there and I was wondering what it was...I'm the one that needs help, I didn't even think of that being a pun! You are one of the funniest funny people I know and don't you forget that! :-)

Anonymous said...

haha annie i love your rendition of the plane ride! I'm sure it was at terrible 1 1/2 hours. I can't believe no one tried to play with him. Will is so adorable! What were they thinking? Plus Will is so much fun to play with!
I take it he is walking?! oh my gosh he is getting so big. I miss him. Are you coming to athens anytime soon? Does will like the snow?

Your chandelier is absolutely beautiful! I need to come and see your new house!
Miss yall!

Becky Swann said...

SoNow after talking to you, Annie last night I had to come back and see the back and forth that came up over your title.
It was even more amusing to read your comments jen then to read the title. both of you make me smile, To clarify I never said it was a pun I just called myself a punster and said it was very clever. I think that it is a "play on words"
I just felt like really diving in and explaining the heck out of that fearlessly. hows that :)

Unknown said...

THanks for the explanation Becky. The funny thing was that Jen was joking too, O the....Lost in Translations of the Blog.....that was a play on a movie, hahaha

Anonymous said...

Wow Annie.. you have opened my eyes to babies on a plane. Not that I've been annoyed by them but it has opened my eyes to giving them way MORE sympathly. I hate that people have to be so rude.. I can't believe the flight attendant didn't even laugh! And I'm so proud of you for getting off the plane first!

Love the title too.. I get it SoNow! I miss snow.. it did try to snow here.. only ice though.

Anonymous said...

Annouptia,
Sorry that I haven't written on Will's blog lately but I could not let the plane episode and the comment from Heidi re the poop trip go by without jumping in to remind everyone that while we do all get through these things (with a lot of God help) they do serve a very useful purpose---to embarrass the fool out of the offending party (ie Will and Addison) in later years when they thought that they had grown up perfect, never causing a bit of trouble to their parents. We still get a big kick out of remembering the "Red Lobster Incident" when, after only just getting our water, Jerry, Kay, Lizza, and Annie all walk(make that run-no pun intended) out of the restaurant (completely across the whole room) carrying baby Katy with a fully loaded, leaky diaper with Katy smiling and flirting with everyone she saw. She always has loved uncomfortable situations. I think we are still on the RL banned list. If any of you FOA's (Friends Of Annies) want to know any Annie tales just call us. Annie, you are the queen of bloggers. Your writing enables us to live through these wonderful exciting times with you, Dan, Will, and Mocha. Remember though, the internet will evolve, and these blogs may go away, so please print and save in a diary (along with the comments) so you can save all of these incredible stories. Oh, the chandelier does look beautiful and perfect.
Love Dad

Anonymous said...

Annie, my dear, I loved reading your blog, as everyone has already said, you painted a beautiful picture of your plane ride, despite how ugly it may have been. Regarding the ugliness (of the people on the plane) if I'm ever on a plane with you and Will and he is sad or sick and people are rude (being your bigger, younger sister who just happens to have a little anger management problem) I will probably either A. punch someone in the face or B. yell at them (expletives optional... it's up to you)

Regardless, I love you and I miss you and I can't wait to see you and Will (and Dan) sometime in the next to near future... I LOVE YOU!

Baby Katy

P.S. Dad's a jerk for putting that Red Lobster story in there... love him!

Anonymous said...

Hey Annie, Oh, how I feel your pain of the plane ride with a sick baby. Flying with children is difficult under the best of circumstances. Hopefully, soon the trip will be a distant, muted memory and Will will not ever have to travel feeling under the weather again when flying over the clouds. Just have to say one thing though...(a motherly/ surrogate aunt thing). One has to remember...You don't know what kind of day the people around you had either....did they just come from a funeral of a loved oned? Are they desperate for a job and are returning from a job interview that did not go well? Do they live with chronic pain that a little airplane seat exacerbates? Just some food for thought. But, believe me, I have felt the same frustrations and thoughts. I remember those days. I got plenty of dirty looks, as well. The good news is...it gets better, as they get older.

Your chandelier is marvelous, and LOVE hearing/seeing all about your house. The deck is a dream, and the view....aaahhhh, heaven on earth. I'm so happy for you. It makes me so happy. I tell your Mom that all the time.

Take care, sweet Willow-ette. Love you, Becky