Wednesday, October 31, 2007

My Nana and LIFE

This past week my family lost my Dad's mom, Ann Nankivell Robb. I was named after her and we were quite similar as well.
It's hard to get used to someone not being around, regretting that you didn't spend enough time with them after there are no more chances is hard. I keep thinking that I didn't call her enough, take Will over there enough, and on and on.
It's hard to have to come to grips with the fact that it would have never been enough because losing someone is hard and I just miss her.
My family was all together for her for about a week and it was so wonderful and horrible all in the same. My Dad, Mom, sister Lizza, me, my aunt Georgia and Nana's best friend Carol were all in the room with her when she passed away. I've never seen anyone leave this world, let alone someone I loved so much.
It was so moving in fact that I came to some realizations during that time of sitting beside her as she went from being alert and frisky to being absent.
There are two things for sure in life. Life and Death, my family has come together for both in the past year. Will's birth and Nana's death. Both times we have bonded together like never before. Differences aside, we were all in it together. What a blessing to have a family that bonds together in those sure times.
I have a close family. But, I have to wonder why aren't we a united front the times in between the life and death. Our differences keep us apart, even those of us that are believers, we are separated. There are walls up that are taken down when life and death come in.
What does God teach through this?
Maybe that we are separated because of the fall, that our relationships are full of expectations and false hopes, and during the two sure times in life (birth and death), we can come together because we are sure of love, sure of hope, sure of our unity.
It has made me excited for the day when everyday will be like a birth of a newborn or the passing of a person in pain, free from worry and failed expectations.
I have faith that Christ shed his mercy on my Nana's heart and that she is experiencing this Freedom and LIFE right now as I type this.
Too bad we can't keep this perspective in life, it's hard not to fall back into the mundane little worries of life, but then again, do we have to?

12 comments:

Becky Swann said...

Annie, it's all right there. You really spoke your heart. Thank you for that, It is so hard to have a grandparent pass away. I have been praying a ton for you, and love you alot too.
Good words.
PS your Nana was a knockout!

The Colorado Carrs said...

So sorry for your loss. your words are so true and touching. I felt the same way when my grandfather died last fall.

Julie said...

Annie,
What a wonderful post. beautifully said. We are praying for you!

Anonymous said...

Annie, I am so sorry for you loss.. but the beauty of the Cross is revealed in life and death as you said.
Love you all!

Just April... said...

Thank you for so openly and vulnerably sharing these beautiful thoughts with all of us, Annie. I rejoice with you that your Nana has moved to heaven - the only true place filled with love, comfort, mercy and infinite peace. Her memory, her legacy, will live on in your memories. My thoughts and prayers are with you, hon. Love love love!

Sunday Grant Photography said...

brilliant! that was brilliantly said.
was nana a model or did she always pose next to fighter planes? that is such a cool picture. that must be framed.
i love you my dear annie!

Anonymous said...

Annie, this is a beautifully written memory of our time with Nana. Thank you for putting into words what we experienced. I love you, Mom

Anonymous said...

Wow Annie... that is an incredibly beautiful reflection on what we went through together (and go through every day). You captured it perfectly. I love you, Lizza

TMB said...

annie, i am so sorry to hear about Nana. i know that losing a loved one is hard...your words are beautifully written. i cannot wait to see you next week, and to meet Will! love you guys...N.T. and D.

Anonymous said...

Hey, Annie, old friend! So sorry to read about your grandmother's passing. Loved reading your heartfelt words, though. (p.s. total confession-- have followed your blog for awhile now. And Sunday's. And Jessica's. Miss and love y'all. Hope to stay in touch more.)

Jason and Jennifer Haynes said...

I love you and my heart hurts for you and the loss of your Nana. I started crying last night while washing dishes because my mind wandered into memories of my grandpa. It hurts to lose people we love, but how blessed were we to love them and even more still to see them vibrant with life again one day. Love you ~ Jen (What amazing pictures you have to remember her...she was a "knockout")

Jason and Jennifer Haynes said...
This comment has been removed by the author.