Friday, August 17, 2007

Learning from Hindsight

This blog has no pictures because I had to write on this one quite a bit, sorry, feel free not to read my galavanting.
We have had quite a time since camp ended. Will has been everywhere and then some, into trash, into the dog bed, into dog hair, etc. etc. Everyone that told me to be thankful he hadn't crawled yet was so right, man I wished I'de listened, why do I have to learn everything from hindsight.

Will also has been so fussy, I am not overdoing it when I say that he is really never fussy. He has been crying evertime we put him down, for sometimes an hour or so, skipping naps (he's a religious napper). Then he has this horrible cold/mucousy eyes/hard buggered thing. O it's been aweful and soooo sad to have to just watch and hold and hold and hold. In about 7 months he hasn't fallen asleep on my chest and he did today, it was glorious.

All that to say, HE'S FINALLY GETTING TEETH! That's what it's been all about hopefully. Two little guys started peering through the other day, right in the middle bottom, how cute, they broke skin, OUCH! So , the poor little guy has been going through big change.

Now, then there is our sweet dog Sadie. About two weeks ago when we finally decided that Sadie could not live her life on a tether any longer, our wonderful Dog Whisperer friend Carol took her for a visit to her house with her 4 dogs and big fenced in yard and air conditioned bedroom for dogs. She had a great time.
So Carol took her home with her permanently after that. It was sooo hard to give up my sweet little Sadie. I cried for about a week every night when there was no tail beating, licking cuteness. Every morning I'de cry because there was no moaning for food, no one to push Mocha through the doorway, no blonde hair on my black pajama pants, no licking.
Well, the other day Carol had all the dogs over here at camp swimming in the lake and I chased her down to see Sadie.
You know what, she didn't even look at me. She jumped out of the car, chased around the other dogs, barely said hello to Mocha. She looked so happy, so free. I mean she's living, literally with 4 other dogs like her and a woman who is like Cesaer the Dog Whisperer. It reminded me of the pack that he has.
Carol is convinced that she is a pack animal, because, you know what, she doesn't run away at all, even when they are going around camp, no going to the neighbors or compost piles. She stays right with the pack.
Mocha is as happy as can be too, she is a people dog, not a pack animal, she's content to just lay beside us all day.
I have to say, I feel at peace about this. I know all my dog loving friends will think, how could Annie be without Sadie, but it's best for her. She's so much happier, and I feel so happy that I got to have her at all. And...we go visit her often, and will continue too. That's the best part.
......but I do have to run by myself now, no one to protect me on the trails and that still brings tears to my eyes.

13 comments:

Sunday Grant Photography said...

oh annie, oooohhhh annie, oh sweet little annie. i am crying for you. i did not know that sadie is gone. i want to come and hug you. you had to see sadie standing on the sidelines running free with her pack, oh annie. do you hear me moaning and wailing for you. i am sure this nastalgic feeling i have is b/c i am listening to pandora.com and i picked slow nostalgic music, but it is so perfect for the moment. and oh sweet little will. he is NEVER fussy and now he is and he slept on your chest. i just could go on and on and on. oh annie!!!

Becky Swann said...

Annie you are such a good mom, in taking care of sweet will and being there for his every need, And in being wise with your dogs. You weren't being selfish and in keeping her and having to keeped her tied up but you were thinking of what was best for her and now she's with her pack roaming the countryside! It's like she's in college now:) Thanks for galavanting! I love a good galavant.

The Colorado Carrs said...

wow!

I dont know what to say but WOW...what a time you have had I can totally sympathize with the crawling, Rylie is EVERYWHERE too!! we have yet to cut teeth but i can only imagine but I cant believe you gave away your sweet dog!!! break my heart, i understand your reasoning and cant imagine how difficult that was. good thing she is close by! i wish i could just give you a big hug, hang tight friend hang tight!

it was a good galavant!

jenrodhaynes said...

WHAT!?! What about the new fence idea?!? I need to listen to Sunday's pandora song right now because I'm totally distraught and in shock! Sorry, I'm not helping at all am I? I know you wouldn't do anything but the right thing but man am I sad for you...that Punk! How could she just run past? You and Mocha need to give each other a big hug. I love you Annie and I'm sorry...but I am glad you have precious Will to chase after now and laugh at his big messes...because after all, who could be mad at that adorable cuteness!

Unknown said...

Ok, everyone. I'm fine. You are all so sweet, I know that I made my life seem pretty hard right now, but there are many good things too.
Jen, you know how to make a girl feel bad, right? Sadie has always been a punk, she's a good one though.
Mocha is precious and I don't think I ever noticed her before.

Heidi and Richard King said...

Annie, I share in everyone's sorrow for you, but you did the right thing and Becky said it right that it is just like she went off to college. Oh, and I can't wait to see Will, he will get through this teething thing too. Can't wait to catch up.

Sunday Grant Photography said...

oh annie i hope i did not make you feel bad. you did the right thing and sadie is in a much better place. i know how much you loved sadie.

MC and Brian Phillips said...

wait everyone wait! I don't understand....why did Sadie leave home? I mean, I know - she just went to college, of course, but why? Dexter was wondering. I think he's always had somewhat of a crush on the mysterious and distant (you know, from us) Sadie.

Well, Annie, I am thinking about you and Will and his new teeth. I'm also working on concocting a new blog in my head. I've been schooling and that drains my creativity I guess...something is coming up soon.

Jessica Rodriguez said...

Annie, I know that people have probably mentioned a bunch of things including Orajel for babies who are teething. I didn't know about it right away with Hanna. . . you can rub some on their gums and it does wonders. It is suppossed to slightly numb the pain. They also have the freezer teething rings that are fun. However, you are probably rolling your eyes if you have heard this advice a million times. I just thought it might be worth mentioning. It seemed to me that anytime I got used to the stage Hanna was in that she went to another new stage in childhood. And when I began to figure out how to deal with this stage there was change again. I guess parenting wouldn't be so rewarding without the horribly hard days. If it was easy, everyone would be a great parent. Don't be to hard on yourself, Annie. It is a rough road at times or alot of the times but it gets easier and different. And things like Will finally sleeping on your chest and listening to your heartbeat and breathing seem to be the things that will be remembered long after you lose sight of the hard times! Love you! It was so good seeing you again and meeting Will in person! Hugs!

Unknown said...

Mc, Sadie was running away, through he electric fence. She'd not ever stay with us and was gone for too long sometimes, not ever coming back until we'de go searching. We can't afford to build a fence as big as we would need right now. She was having to be on a tether and would still have to at our new house, miserable existence if you ask me. Now she's so happy, and life is pretty peaceful over here. Thanks for the encouragement and advice Jess.

Anonymous said...

Oh Annie.. how sad about Sadie! But you know what is best for her and for your family and even if it is sad... I would be sad too.. specially if Skyler didn't come over to me.. my heart just breaks for you! I'm sorry you had to give Sadie away but I'm glad you were able to give her to someone you know, you know they'll take care of her, and she'll be happy running with the pack. Plus with Will crawling everywhere (that's exciting) and keeping you on your toes! Love you!

Shanna Mac said...

i hate teething. i'm pretty sure gracen hates it worse. we are in the midst of getting molars. we live on tylenol. it seems to be the only thing that makes the misery go away.

i'm so happy you found a great home for sadie and applaud you on making such a tough but good decision. my first dog-love was cosbie. he was a beautiful wild one, and like sadie, could not be contained. he broke out of pens, dug up chaines, slipped out of his collar, etc. my parents ended up finding a home for him, which at the time (i was 9) made me hate them a little bit. but he moved to a huge farm, had other dogs to play with, land to roam at his leisure, and was blissfully happy. i hated that he couldn't have stayed, but his life ended up being what he wanted and needed, and that made me happy in the end.

Anonymous said...

Annie.. I need an update.. what's going on with Will.. he'll be one soon too! Love you!